I must admit I thought slat/corded/quilted bonnets were some of the ugliest things I'd ever seen. I thought they just looked so odd...and not pretty at all! (I used to think Toms shoes were ugly too, until I got a few pairs :P). But this was only until I got the sewing urge to make one...and then they just seemed lovely. :)
At first I had planned on making a bonnet from this fabric for my little sister's bff, but the bff thinks that these bonnets are ugly still, and after I'd made it I just had to keep it for myself. :P I'm horrible about things like that! I'm currently in the midst of making another bonnet like this out of a blue and white gingham curtain for Caroline.
This fabric is a $2 curtain I bought at the VV, the function ties are 1/4 inch cotton twill tape, and the batting was from my cousin's deceased grandmother. I'm not sure if the batting is cotton or not :?. As for a pattern, I followed Ms. Sarah's instructions in her tutorial she's put on her blog. It did take a whole day just about though.
|more quilting :)|
|Caroline being sweet and modeling for me. She'll be wearing this bonnet tomorrow and Thursday |
during a Civil War girls camp she's working at, unless I hurry up and finish hers :).
Overall I'm very happy with this bonnet and the pattern. It was very easy to understand and construct, and I think the finished result is quite nice. So what I'm really saying is I love this bonnet! :D And it will be good to have when doing a more working class impression, especially if I'm outside most of the time. So yay! Now back to the sewing area to sew up another one!