A month or so ago, I picked up a red rayon dress at VV to wear for WWII reenacting. I really liked it. But it had a high waist...not like empire, but several inches above my natural waist. I wanted to make it work though, so after talking to Bascha, I decided to cut off part of the bottom of the skirt and make a waistband.
Here is the before. You can't really see the high waist line that well because it tied in the back and that pulled the fabric in a little more to my natural waist, but the actual "waist seam" on the dress is higher.
I just did a narrow rolled hem on the skirt after I cut my waistband strip. The waistband was 3.5 inches I think.
|if you are wondering why I'm wearing a mob cap...I had just gotten home from a day at Latta|
and hadn't totally gotten undressed yet :P
|gathering the bodice to fit the waistband|
I think it's a really cute dress! And I'm happy with that little modification. Now I've got a decently accurate '40's dress and it was just 2 dollars! :)