My first bodiced petticoat was a real shame. I have to whisper that because Caroline wears it now :P. It's cute, but it has waaaaaay too many hooks and eyes on the back (all upside down, in case you were wondering), ribbon flowers down the bodice front, and plenty of showing serge. Not to mention the fact that the only thing I thought to use for a pattern was a size small nursing dress bodice. What was I thinking.
|ah yes...add as many gaudy ribbon flowers and beads as ya like. I didn't even wear a shift under it...what was I thinking!!!???? Can't post the full pic of it on my blog...a little too much skin and cleavage than I'm comfortable sharing :P|
|showing where the under-bust line is (top of my finger)|
So that is what I've done. Stats are: cotton, machine sewn, no patterns, 7 tucks.
|I am still thinking of adding those narrow straps. My waist is the same size as my ribcage (28") and so I've got a feeling it'll slide down lower on my body than it needs too. The straps would help keep it up.|
|Also...I'm taller than Madame. This petticoat hits just lower than mid shin.|
|It ties completely shut on me, I think I actually need to add another dart to make that band tighter. If I were to grow in width, I can always just tie it with a gap or let all my waistband tucks out.|
Now I've made some fluff for under my dress, and can run off to sew some pantalets.~Theresa