Well! I suppose I'm more of a procrastinator than I'd care to admit......:/ erm. I was sewing so madly the last week before the ball I actually injured my foot.
Yes. I sewed so much I came to have an inflamed nerve in the ball of my right foot. This caused my foot to swell, to the point of not even fitting in my pretty rose colored pumps I had diy-ed glitter to to undersides of. Grrr. I was in a lot of pain as well, and I'd equate it to walking and feeling like one had a splinter in your foot. Plus the tingly and awkward feeling caused from the swelling. So Bascha was super sweet and lent me lace slippers (like the kind you can wear inside of a shoe...idk what they are called...???) which I'm afraid I wore out rather quickly :P, but they did look quite nice with my outfit. :) Even though my foot hurt, I just danced anyway (ouch), since I figured we had already invested so much, I couldn't just throw away the experience. I limped a good bit, and sat out a few dances, but I made it. And Ah, this story has an AMAZING ENDING. Which I will include at the bottom of this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So on to the dress :). I had bought a lovely Simplicity Pattern a while back, of which I had planned to make a WWII dress from, but hadn't really done anything with. It was really cute, and by the time my ballgown was taking off, I thought it'd be a good chance to try out a new pattern. Yuck. Gathers, plus 6 inches of fba gathers did not look good. At all. It appeared I had pouches attached to the underside of my boobs. WEIRD. Ah, but Bascha saved the day (She and her mum came over for literally an entire day to help me sew my dress and petticoats!). She draped (go Bascha-first time draping!!) a darted bodice, which fitted in really cute with the sleeves and back, and we scrapped the waistband part. Yay! It looked really, really cute! She did an excellent job and I'm in love with the darts :).
We did have a problem though....after she helped me put the whole dress together, I tried it on. Only to find out my poor bust was squished into a very strange shape due to the tightness of the bodice. And it was uncomfortable. I'm still not really sure what I did wrong....but I probably messed it up attaching the lining. Bascha did the nice parts, I did the in-siding out and such of the lining. (Oops. Thankfully I was able to fix it.
|1947 dress pattern|
|I like this picture :). Bascha, you do take some nice photos!! :) I don't have a full body shot of just me alone though, so you readers will have to check out a group picture post to see my whole self.|
Mama did my hair, and I think it turned out really nice. I slept on the whole thing and wore it the next day, and was even able to wear the front part to church on Sunday. I kind of like the vintage vibe. For my nails I used fake nails (since my real nails broke like the day before) and "chiseled" them into a more pointed tip than 'tis the style now, and painted them red. I lost one during the ball trying to pull a petticoat down some, but Care was smart and had brought the glue with her in her purse. So I was saved much embarrassment. :P
|The back. You can kind of see my fingernails in this photo too.|
|bodice front. And I'm wearing Bascha's necklace :). She lent that to me for the ball. I'm really not sure if there is a nicer person than Bascha :D Guys, she is awesome!|
That's the Oregano dress, more ballgown posts coming! (Plus petticoat pictures).