Saturday, July 20, 2013

13 Tucks later....

I have a tucked petti! I thought I might go insane after I had been sewing tucks for 4 hours straight....but I didn't :P.  I actually do enjoy sewing tucks :).  But with a small sigh of relief I can cross off yet another  project from my to-do list!

I made each tuck 2 inches from the top of the last one.  Each tuck is
3/4 of an inch big

after I measured, I pinned all the way around the skirt to keep  it in place

and then I sewed it down with my fold at the 3/4 inch mark on my machine

I used a pretty little china button with blue painted edges
Those buttons really were a find....I got 9 of them for less than $1.25....oh yeah baby! :D  I also have buttons like that but with black paint, and then some little ones with black designs.
gauging
 This was my first try at gauging a skirt.  Since this is going to be some of the fluff under my homespun, I thought it would be best to use cartridge pleats instead of knife pleats.  It doesn't seam as sturdy to me, but maybe that's just in my head.  I used 3 strands of gathers.  Before I stitched the gathering rows, I folded down the skirt fabric by like 2 and 1/2 inches, so that I didn't have raw edges at the top where I would need to attach it. In one of the pictures below, you can see how I only attached the skirt to the waistband by the "peaks" of the cartridge pleats, instead of sewing through all of the way one would normally sew through gathers.  If I'm not mistaken, this is what makes it poof out at the top of the skirt.
gauging

how the gauging is attached to the waistband

finished petticoat

all 13 tucks
 I used curtains that a lady at church gave me...and the nice part was that they were white and cotton!  They already had a ruffle at the bottom, which I left on there.  It's a pleated ruffle which I thought was cool.  (I like unique things....and this was the first pleated ruffle I've seen so in my mind it's unique.  Anyways...)
ruffle detail

showing how fluffy it is...sorry about the pj's :D  It comes down to
about a hand-span above my ankle.

It's very voluminous!  
And when I'm not wearing it under my homespun, I'm going to use it as my modesty petticoat.  My old one is....well....interesting (and not in a unique way, but that's for another post :P).

~Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment